Only 14 kilometers off the shore of Cancun, Isla Mujeres (Women Island) has a decidedly a different rhythm: more laid back, more Caribbean, hospitable and slow moving, always remembering its long and difficult past.
Less than a kilometer wide and barely 8 kilometers long, Isla Mujeres is a typical palm-fringed tropical retreat, discovered in the 1950's as a vacation destination while Cozumel and Cancun were mere figments of far sighted developers' imaginations. Isla Mujeres got its name from The Conqueror Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba, who was reportedly impressed by the large number of female figurines he found in temples on the island. Today it is a favorite destination for relaxed travelers and serious divers, though it is increasingly frequented by day-trippers from Cancun. Ferrys from Puerto Juarez and express boats from Cancun dock at the main village, its harbor dotted with colorful fishing boats and its sandy lanes lined with a jumble of shops, outdoor cafes and restaurants.
Golf carts, motorcycles or bicycles are the most common forms of transportation and are available for rent all over the island.